Chimney Inspections in Maryland, Washington, DC and Virginia
At Capital Chimney Service, we offer a variety of thorough chimney inspection services in Maryland, Washington, DC and Virginia to improve your chimney efficiency and performance. Our chimney inspections can help you prevent chimney leaks and water penetration into your home, chimney damage and energy waste. As a member of the esteemed National Chimney Sweep Guild, we are a family owned chimney company and we take pride in our work.
Types of Chimney Inspections
Chimneys and venting systems should be professionally inspected after changes to a chimney or vent system, a chimney fire or purchasing a home with a chimney. We offer three levels of chimney inspections:
Level I Chimney Inspections
If your appliance or your venting system has not changed and you plan to use your system as you have in the past, then a Level 1 inspection is a minimum requirement. This could include
- a routine or annual evaluations of the venting system
- when an appliance connected to the system is being replaced with a similar appliance
- or during chimney cleaning or sweeping
A Level I inspection is limited to readily accessible portions of the venting system, and accessible portions of the connected appliance(s) and the chimney connection. The inspector will check
- The readily accessible portions of the chimney: In a Level 1 inspection, your chimney service technician should examine the readily accessible portions of the chimney exterior, interior and accessible portions of the appliance and the chimney connection. The technician will also verify the chimney is free of obstruction and combustible deposits.
- The enclosing structure: Your technician will be looking for the basic soundness of the chimney structure as well as the basic appliance installation and connections.
- The flue: A Level I inspection includes verification that the flue is not blocked or significantly restricted.
A Level 1 inspection is recommended for a chimney under continued service, under the same conditions, and with the continued use of the same appliance.
Level II Chimney Inspections
More detailed and thorough than a Level I inspection, a Level II Inspection is the recommended inspection when conditions of use for the appliance or venting system change, or when a Level I inspection reveals the need for a more detailed inspection. Several instances where a Level II inspection is specifically recommended include:
- Replacement of an appliance with one of dissimilar type, input rating or efficiency
- Prior to a flue relining
- Upon sale or transfer of the property
- After an event likely to have caused damage to the chimney, such as a chimney fire or other sudden occurrence event
A Level II inspection includes all of the requirements of a Level I inspection as well as the following:
- Inspection of accessible areas of attics, basements and crawlspaces
- Accessible areas of the chimney exterior and interior
- Accessible portions of the appliance and chimney connection
- Video scanning or other thorough inspection of the flue interior
- Evaluation of the flue lining to determine that its material and sizing is appropriate for the appliances being served
- Proper clearance to combustibles in the accessible areas listed above
- Proper construction and condition of the chimney system in the accessible areas listed above
Level III Chimney Inspections
The most detailed of all of the inspection types, a Level III inspection includes inspection of concealed areas of the building. However, examination of concealed areas will be limited to areas reasonably suspected of containing hazards that cannot be evaluated otherwise. A Level III inspection includes:
- all areas covered in a Level I and Level II inspection
- inspection of concealed areas to investigate known or suspected problems
Level III inspection sometimes requires destructive action to the building. The inspector will discuss these areas with the building owner prior to the inspection.
If you need chimney inspections in the Maryland, Washington, DC or Virginia area, contact Capitol Chimney Solutions. Our goal is to make your chimney cleaner, safer and more energy-efficient.